Building Permits & other permits

All Departmental Forms | Building Permit | Sign Permit Package* | Zoning Permit

If you have any questions regarding permits or City Ordinances before you begin any construction projects, please be sure to contact SAFEbuilt* by phone at (269) 729-9244, or email to

Please note that if your business is located within the city’s Historic District, you must first obtain approval from the Historic District Commission (HDC) for any signage and/or work involving the façade (exterior) of a non-exempt building within the district  — i.e., prior to receiving approval from the Building Inspector.  To obtain an application, contact the HDC via email or download it here.

One of the main sources for building department forms, in general, is the front desk at City Hall — also available online from the city’s portal.  Many of the required permit applications and other related forms can also be obtained from our downloads page (Google Drive folder) or from SAFEbuilt’s office (Athens, MI).

Do I Need a Building Permit?

Alternatively, you may call City Hall at (269) 273-1075 or stop by (at 333 W. Michigan Ave.) Monday through Friday (except holidays) during business hours to pick up, inquire about, or pay for permit applications in person.

* Sign Permits:  The City of Three Rivers does not have a “sign permit” — instead, use the Sign Permit Package that includes both a zoning permit and building permit — Tip: be sure to check ‘Other’ and write “SIGN” under Section IV at the bottom of page 3.

New Businesses

If you are a new business (or an existing business relocating in Three Rivers), please refer to our New Business page …or go directly to our zoning review form for a no-cost review for an address or parcel of interest.

If you are a resident or business planning on new construction or remodeling, and you are not already familiar with the permitting process and applicable ordinances, please refer to our

Guide to Development.!

Additional information can be found on our Building & Zoning page.

* City Zoning Administrator and Building Official (formerly, Cornerstone Inspection Services)