Under direct supervision from the County Administrator or designee, pursues revenue and other resources from federal and state grant programs, foundations and other public and private partnerships to enhance services, programs and priorities. Also, advises on feasibility, cost-effectiveness and grant guidelines for special projects or ongoing programs as well as assists in the preparation and presentation of grant applications.
- Review departmental goals and priorities of funding entities (St. Joseph County, City of Sturgis, City of Three Rivers) to identify grant or other funding opportunities.
- Research potential funding sources for current programs and activities of above-mentioned funding entities.
- Formulate relationships with foundations, governments, non-profit organization, and corporate entities at local, state and federal levels.
- Assist departmental staffs with developing systems for record-keeping, evaluations, databases, electronic efficiencies, etc. for ongoing programs funded by grants.
- Prepare grant applications for specific projects and programs.
- Monitor and record all grant awards in order to provide an annual report.
- Provide a monthly project report and timesheet to funding entities.
- Assist and provide instruction in the writing and submission of all applications for grants in accordance with guidelines and deadlines.
- Assist with the preparation of grant program evaluations and other required reports.
- All other duties as assigned.
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the above tasks. (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employees may be expected to perform.)
Education: Associate’s Degree required in journalism, creative writing, marketing, business, public administration or a related field; bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience: One to three years previous experience with grant research, grant writing, related marketing and project management.
- Ability to research opportunities for state, federal and other grant sources.
- Skill in gathering, analyzing and reporting facts, figures and general demographic data.
- Skill in working cooperatively and collaboratively.
- Ability to coordinate information and provide guidance regarding grant opportunities.
- Ability to analyze grant application processes and proceed in acquisition of funds.
- Ability to effectively utilize computer technology to perform job functions.
- Ability to establish working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present ideas orally and in writing.
- Ability to prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports according to accepted standards.
- Ability to work effectively under stress and changes in work priorities.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria.
Physical Requirements: [This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the following requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements]:
- Ability to access departmental files.
- Ability to enter and retrieve information from computers.
- Ability to access all locations of County government.
- Ability to travel to various locations within and outside the County for meetings.
- Works in office conditions and various locations within and outside the County.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours.